Saturday, October 11, 2008

Skin Cancer

In July while in for a check up with my doctor I pointed out that it seemed a mole on my leg had changed in color a little and wanted to know if I should be concerned. My doctor said that the area looked a little dry but because of the size of it she wanted to send me to a plastic surgeon to have it removed. My first appointment was on Aug. 29th where Dr. Chami went over the size and color with me and advised me that he would remove it because it had been increasing in size. About a week later I was in the office having the mole removed and chillin' on my behind while my darling Travis took care of me. That surgery had been on Tuesday Sept. 9th and on Friday of that week I received a call from Dr. Chami's office asking me to come in. I knew that it wasn't a good sign if he was calling me in soooo soon after the surgery since I already had a followup appointment for two weeks later. Travis met me at the doctor's office where I was told that the mole that was removed was a malignant melanoma. The good news was that we caught it very early in the first stage and the area around the mole was cleared. Although it seems that they got it all with the first surgery I would have to go back in to have more of the area removed to be safe, taking all tissue and fat down to the muscle. Surgery was scheduled for Oct. 9th and everything went very well. I have had a lot more pain with this surgery but Travis has been a huge help taking care of my every need. I was also lucky to be able to have people to watch Braeden while I am recovering. He went to Grandma Taylor's house on Wednesday night and Donna picked him up Thursday and will keep him until Sunday. I am feeling a lot better today and hopefully all will be well with the tissue that was removed and I will be done with all these surgeries. Here are some of the pictures from my cancer removal journey.

The mole that needed to be removed. I know my leg is blindingly white but I never wear shorts. I feel that if you have legs this white it is your responsibility to prevent blindness of others by wearing pants.

This is the scar and bruise after my first surgery.

Here is the same scar after the stitches were removed.

Here is the aftermath of the most recent surgery. I thought my leg would have a large dent in it but it really isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The size of the second scar is bigger than I thought it would be. I love you very much and know that everything will turn out o.k. If you need me, just let me know. Tell Travis, he's a great guy for taking care of you and I love him for that, I know he will love to hear that. Take care of yourself and yell if you need anything. Love you tons.

Love,
Mom and John

Shumaker said...

We will keep you in our prayers. I know it will all turn out OK, but let us know if you need any thing. We love you.

Special K said...

Glad to hear you're healing well. I know everything will be fine in the end. Have faith in that.

PS. Travis is a pretty good guy, isn't he? You know mom said he came and sat with me like every night when I was in the hospital. Most of it I don't remember... but I'm still glad he was there. So don't worry...he'll take excellent care of you.

Carla said...

Man, that's a big ass scar for that little mole. It doesn't seem as bad as it sounded when you said down to the muscle. I just remember the hole left in Dad's nose when they removed his skin cancer. Ask Travis about it. I'm glad he's taking good care of you, and that all went well with this surgery.
Thanks for protecting the rest of us from the blinding whiteness. I know where you're coming from. :op

Lilly said...

Kristy, We are thinking of you. Let us know if you need anything. Love ya,
Jenn

Chasteen News Updates said...

Hey gimp! Glad to hear all is well and on the way to recovery! You will be back up and running after Braeden in no time! There ain't much that can keep a Chasteen down! Take care! Kathleen

Anonymous said...

I got on here to wish Travis a happy birthday,a few days late and saw your post about your mole. What a shock! Glad they got it all and you are healing well. I knew Travis would take good care of you, he's an awesome guy!! Tell him happy birthday and take care of yourself.
Travis' favorite cuz, Debbie

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention in my last comment, we went to The Wilds on Saturday. It was our second time, but Darcie's first. We took Derek when he was little. We all loved it, especially Darcie. It's a great place, isn't it??